Wednesday, June 4, 2014

doors

Removed the remaining doors in the hallway and kitchen tonight, except for one. Set up the saw horses, attached a new garden hose, threw some meat on the grille and started scrubbing doors in preparation for painting. Completed cleaning, grilled a red bell pepper, added a little raw onion and cheese, toasted a roll and sat back. My plan is to paint all the doors on Saturday if the weather stays good. I would rather not do it piece meal, with the entire day free I would be able to paint two coats, drying between coats, flip them and add two more coats. The one door that I didn't remove is the bathroom door, I should be able to clean and paint that one the same day. As for myself I would have no problem having no door there seeing as I am usually alone, but the occasional visitor may feel a little uncomfortable being exposed.

The one door I see problems with is the kitchen closet, this door is louvered, and while painting it won't be difficult, cleaning the louvers enough to hold paint may be. Tonight I washed both sides and there are still areas which need more work. I may be time effective in the long run just to replace it with a new one.


Am still having problems with a couple kitchen cabinet doors, in particular those which were over the stove. They have been cleaned stripped and painted three times now and still have areas where they just won't hold paint. honestly it gets a bit frustrating. The problem is these are not off the shelf cabinet doors, you can't just run down the street and buy new ones. These cabinets were built as a unit in place by my Grandfather and except for a couple twin doors the rest are each different dimensions. 

The roofers should be here this week to begin work removing two layers of asphalt shingles and one layer of cedar shakes from the roof. They will be replacing the roofing, inspecting the wood beneath, replacing any if needed. They will also be installing gutters and repointing the chimney.



No comments:

Post a Comment